Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

compound not found in FireEmis table

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
Hello CESM community,
I am encountering one ERROR recently when I run a model with the following compset, turning on fire,
compset: I2000Clm50BgcCru
CLM_BLDNML_OPTS="-fire_emis"

After creating the case, I made some changes in user_nl_clm, such as
fire_emis_specifier = 'CB1 = 0.5*BC', 'CB2=0.5*BC', 'BIGALK=BIGALK',.... (its a long list)

I tried running the model by commenting/removing fire_emis_specifier, and the model runs well, which means the problem is within it. I also tried deleting just 'BIGALK=BIGALK' then the error shifted to the next component.

Any suggestions on how can I resolve this problem.
Many thanks!!

ERROR: fire_emis_factors_get: BIGALK compound not found in FireEmis table

Attachments

• CLM error.png
    CLM error.png
    196.7 KB · Views: 14

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
As the error says, you can't request a variable that isn't in the fire emissions factor file:

ncdump -v Comp_Name /glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/firedata/fire_emis_factors_c140116.nc

data:

Comp_Name =
"CO2",
"CO",
"CH4",
"NHMC",
"H2",
"NOX",
"N2O",
"PM25",
"TPM",
"TC",
"OC",
"BC",
"SO2" ;

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
Dear @oleson,
That perfectly worked for me. Now, instead of using the "Land" compset (I), I switched to "Land-Atm" compset (FMOZ). I ran the model with active "MEGAN" and "Fire" (./xmlchange --append CLM_BLDNML_OPTS="-megan -fire_emis"). To omit the double-counting of biogenic emissions and biomass burning (fire) emissions, I removed "biogenic" and "bb" emission files from user_nl_cam. I then submitted the job after successfully building it, but it encountered into problem in less than a minute with the following error message:

ERROR: fire_emissions_init: not able to map CB1 to chem species/forcing

CB1 and other species in user_nl_clm are set to be:

fire_emis_specifier = 'CB1 = 0.5*BC', 'CB2=0.5*BC','OC1 = 0.8*OC', 'OC2=0.2*OC','SO2 = SO2' .....

Looking forward to resolving this from the CESM community.
Thank you so much.

Attachments

• cesm_err.png
    cesm_err.png
    83.2 KB · Views: 10

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
let me explain it more clearly, after building the case my drv_flds_in looks like this:

&fire_emis_nl
fire_emis_factors_file = '/lustre/project/TGABI/CESM/input_data/lnd/clm2/firedata/fire_emission_factors_16PFTs_c170118.nc'
fire_emis_specifier = 'CB1 = 0.5*BC', 'CB2=0.5*BC', 'OC1 = 0.8*OC',
'OC2=0.2*OC', 'SO2 = SO2', 'BIGALK=BIGALK', 'BIGENE=BIGENE',
'C10H16=APIN+BPIN+LIMON+MYRC+1.5*BCARY', 'C2H2=C2H2', 'C2H4=C2H4',
'C2H5OH=C2H5OH', 'C2H6=C2H6', 'C3H6=C3H6', 'C3H8=C3H8', 'CH2O=CH2O',
'CH3CHO=CH3CHO', 'CH3CN=CH3CN', 'CH3COCH3=CH3COCH3', 'CH3COOH=CH3COOH',
'CH3OH=CH3OH', 'CO=CO', 'HCN=HCN', 'HCOOH=HCOOH', 'ISOP=ISOP', 'MEK=MEK',
'NO=NO', 'NH3=NH3', 'TOLUENE=TOLUENE', 'XYLENE=XYLENE', 'BENZENE=BENZENE'
/

Before I change, initially it look like this:
&fire_emis_nl
fire_emis_factors_file = '/lustre/users/s1155149263/CESM/input_data/lnd/clm2/firedata/fire_emis_factors_c140116.nc'
fire_emis_specifier = 'bc_a1 = BC', 'pom_a1 = 1.4*OC', 'SO2 = SO2'
/

The problem is as stated in just above section:
ERROR: fire_emissions_init: not able to map CB1 to chem species/forcing

Looking for some suggestions. Many thanks

Hemraj

Hemraj Bhattarai
even the default failed to run:
&fire_emis_nl
fire_emis_factors_file = '/lustre/users/s1155149263/CESM/input_data/lnd/clm2/firedata/fire_emis_factors_c140116.nc'
fire_emis_specifier = 'bc_a1 = BC', 'pom_a1 = 1.4*OC', 'SO2 = SO2'
/

ERROR: fire_emissions_init: not able to map bc_a1 to chem species/forcing

Do we need to add any extra line while turning ON the fire in FMOZ compset (./xmlchange --append CLM_BLDNML_OPTS="-megan -fire_emis")

sorry for too many messages, but hope you understand!!!