Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to transplant my model to Derecho

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
Hi,

We are developing our own model based on CLM5.0, and we want to move our work from Cheyenne to Derecho. So I'm wondering how can I define derecho as a new machine in my current cime tool? Thank you!

Best,

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
I tried to replace the "config_machines.xml" under my code repository with the newest one from CTSM, and I saw the derecho definitions. But when I tried to create a new case, I met such error. Any thoughts about this problem?

ERROR: Command: '/glade/u/apps/opt/conda/envs/npl-2023a/bin/xmllint --xinclude --noout --schema /glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/cime/CIME/data/config/xml_schemas/config_machines.xsd /glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml' failed with error '/glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml:427: element MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE: Schemas validity error : Element 'MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE': This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE, COSTPES_PER_NODE, PROJECT_REQUIRED, mpirun ).

/glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml:1277: element MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE: Schemas validity error : Element 'MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE': This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE, COSTPES_PER_NODE, PROJECT_REQUIRED, mpirun ).

/glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml:1953: element MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE: Schemas validity error : Element 'MAX_CPUTASKS_PER_GPU_NODE': This element is not expected. Expected is one of ( MAX_MPITASKS_PER_NODE, COSTPES_PER_NODE, PROJECT_REQUIRED, mpirun ).

/glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/ccs_config/machines/config_machines.xml fails to validate' from dir '/glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3/cime/scripts'

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There is a document in progress that describes how to do this for CTSM.
However, it is not yet finished and needs to be reviewed, hopefully soon.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
There is a document in progress that describes how to do this for CTSM.
However, it is not yet finished and needs to be reviewed, hopefully soon.
Thank you for your reply, where we can find this document after it is published?

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
There will be a github discussion item on this site, probably later today or tomorrow:

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
There will be a github discussion item on this site, probably later today or tomorrow:

Hi Sam @samrabin

I copied the derecho machine definitions from your repository (config_machine.xml, config_batch.xml and derecho.cmake). Now I can successfully create a case, but when I built it, the model told me it couldn't load the module "esmf/8.6.0b04-debug". Do you know how to solve this problem?

Thank you!

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I copied the derecho machine definitions from your repository (config_machine.xml, config_batch.xml and derecho.cmake). Now I can successfully create a case, but when I built it, the model told me it couldn't load the module "esmf/8.6.0b04-debug". Do you know how to solve this problem?

This means there is some trouble in the module initialization, as we use a custom initialization for modules for CESM.

There's a working case I have on Derecho that includes the following line in the .env_mach_specific.csh for the case

source /glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/lmod/8.7.20/gcc/7.5.0/pdxb/lmod/lmod/init/csh module load cesmdev/1.0 ncarenv/23.09 module purge module load craype intel/2023.2.1 mkl ncarcompilers/1.0.0 cmake mpi-serial/2.3.0 netcdf/4.9.2 parallelio/2.6.2-debug esmf/8.6.0b04-debug

You'll need something like that in your case as well.

The other suggestion now that we have a document out is to follow the instructions there. Either update to ctsm5.1.dev157 or at least update the externals to the ctsm5.1.dev157. The document goes into detail on doing that.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck on moving to Derecho!

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
This means there is some trouble in the module initialization, as we use a custom initialization for modules for CESM.

There's a working case I have on Derecho that includes the following line in the .env_mach_specific.csh for the case

source /glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/lmod/8.7.20/gcc/7.5.0/pdxb/lmod/lmod/init/csh module load cesmdev/1.0 ncarenv/23.09 module purge module load craype intel/2023.2.1 mkl ncarcompilers/1.0.0 cmake mpi-serial/2.3.0 netcdf/4.9.2 parallelio/2.6.2-debug esmf/8.6.0b04-debug

You'll need something like that in your case as well.

The other suggestion now that we have a document out is to follow the instructions there. Either update to ctsm5.1.dev157 or at least update the externals to the ctsm5.1.dev157. The document goes into detail on doing that.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck on moving to Derecho!
Hi Erik,

Thank you! Unfortunately, I have to manually add the derecho definitions to the machines repository. I tried to use the commands you mentioned to load the packages
source /glade/u/apps/derecho/23.06/spack/opt/spack/lmod/8.7.20/gcc/7.5.0/pdxb/lmod/lmod/init/csh
module load cesmdev/1.0 ncarenv/23.09
module purge
module load craype intel/2023.2.1 mkl ncarcompilers/1.0.0 cmake mpi-serial/2.3.0 netcdf/4.9.2 parallelio/2.6.2-debug esmf/8.6.0b04-debug

but it looks like my system can't recognize the command "setenv". Any way to to define this command?

Best,

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
You may be using a bash shell which doesn't recognize setenv. Try using a c-shell or tcshrc.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
You may be using a bash shell which doesn't recognize setenv. Try using a c-shell or tcshrc.
Hi Keith,

I forked my code from this repository :
GitHub - juliusvira/ctsm at fan-2019-ctsm

this is my github page

and his code is far behind the CTSM source code. I couldn't fetch the newest tags in its main branch, do you know how to skip his main branch to fetch the tags from ctsm official site?

thank you!

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Jinmu

@oleson already gave you a way to handle the shell issue. But, if you are using the commands are just just slightly different and you use the export command rather than setenv. And you use the .env_mach_specifc.sh rather than .env_mach_specific.csh.

But, it sounds like you have that part in control, so let me post about the git issue next...

erik

Erik Kluzek
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
On the git issue, I had hoped we had some discussion on this in our github wiki. But, I did not find it. Here's maybe the closest, which talks about github remotes...

The CTSM github tutorials also will talk about this, but there isn't a definite part that just talks about this issue.

Anyway, the answer is that you need to add a remote for the ESCOMP fork for CTSM and you need to pull and fetch from it to get the latest changes.

To add a remote, if you are using ssh keys:

git remote add escomp git@github.com:ESCOMP/CTSM.git

Then to fetch all the changes and tags, and then apply them to the branch

git fetch escomp
git merge release-cesm2.2.03. # (This will require you to resolve conflicts in files due to the merge and fix them, you'll also need to make sure it's all working)
git status
git commit # Only required if there were conflicts that you had to resolve)
./manage_externals/checkout_externals

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
I don't know, sorry. Pinging @slevis and @erik here because they are more familiar with these github operations than I am.
Hi Keith,

I have another question.
After I merged my code with the release-cesm2.2.03 tag, the new cime tool couldn't recognize many namelists I had before. I guess it's because I now have the cime tool designed for the cesm not the ctsm? Could you please tell me what the right cesm namelists for the the ctsm namelists like DATM_YR_ALIGN, DATM_YR_START and DATM_YR_END?

Thank you!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not sure I understand the question, but DATM_YR_ALIGN, DATM_YR_START, and DATM_YR_END are the more recent versions and are the result of switching from mct to nuopc. The old versions were DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_ALIGN, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
I'm not sure I understand the question, but DATM_YR_ALIGN, DATM_YR_START, and DATM_YR_END are the more recent versions and are the result of switching from mct to nuopc. The old versions were DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_ALIGN, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END.
Thank you for your explanations! DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_ALIGN, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_START, DATM_CLMNCEP_YR_END work well in my case! But when I build the case, it has an error like below.

ERROR: Command /glade/u/home/jinmuluo/CLM-FANv3tag01/bld/build-namelist failed rc=255

out=

err=ERROR : CLM build-namelist::CLMBuildNamelist::setup_logic_lnd_frac() : -lnd_frac was set as UNSET in the CTSM build-namelist set it with the env variables: LND_DOMAIN_PATH/LND_DOMAIN_FILE.

Any idea of this error?

my case: /glade/work/jinmuluo/cases/DerechoTest
my setup: /glade/u/home/jinmuluo/LNDATM-IN/CaseSetUpMESOCOM_cesm.sh

Thank you!

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
It is asking you to set LND_DOMAIN_PATH and LND_DOMAIN_FILE (these are variables in env_run.xml). I assume this is occurring because you've set "--res CLM_USRDAT" in your create_newcase command.

jinmuluo

Jinmu Luo
It is asking you to set LND_DOMAIN_PATH and LND_DOMAIN_FILE (these are variables in env_run.xml). I assume this is occurring because you've set "--res CLM_USRDAT" in your create_newcase command.
Thank you! If my case is a single-site simulation, which file it should point to?