Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

How to use own raw data to create surface data

jgx

jiagongxu
Hi everyone, According to the CLM5.0 user's guide, If I want to create my own surface data, I need to first generate a SCRIPgrids based on the raw data, then use mkmapdata.sh to generate corresponding map files, and finally use mkserfdata_map generate surface daataset. What I want to know is, if I want to use my raw satellite image data, how can I generate my own SCRIPgrids and map files? Is there a namelist file that records the raw data information?
Sincerely seeking help

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The answer here probably depends on what type of satellite image data you are wanting to use. Is it pft or lai data or something else? If it is pft or lai data then maybe the CLM landuse tool is appropriate:
You might contact the author directly about that: lawrence @ ucar.edu.

If it's something different then maybe just following the format of the existing raw data would work. There should be an example namelist of the raw input datasets in tools/mksurfdata_map/ called mksurfdata_map.namelist. So for example the lake raw data is:
mksrf_flakwat = '/glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_LakePnDepth_3x3min_simyr2004_csplk_c151015.nc'
and the mapping file is:
map_flakwat = '/glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/mappingdata/maps/10x15/map_3x3min_MODIS-wCsp_to_10x15_nomask_aave_da_c160425.nc'

This a 10x15 grid example, but there are mapping files at various resolutions available.

jgx

jiagongxu
The answer here probably depends on what type of satellite image data you are wanting to use. Is it pft or lai data or something else? If it is pft or lai data then maybe the CLM landuse tool is appropriate:
You might contact the author directly about that: lawrence @ ucar.edu.

If it's something different then maybe just following the format of the existing raw data would work. There should be an example namelist of the raw input datasets in tools/mksurfdata_map/ called mksurfdata_map.namelist. So for example the lake raw data is:
mksrf_flakwat = '/glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/rawdata/mksrf_LakePnDepth_3x3min_simyr2004_csplk_c151015.nc'
and the mapping file is:
map_flakwat = '/glade/p/cesm/cseg/inputdata/lnd/clm2/mappingdata/maps/10x15/map_3x3min_MODIS-wCsp_to_10x15_nomask_aave_da_c160425.nc'

This a 10x15 grid example, but there are mapping files at various resolutions available.
Thank you very much for your answer, it has been very helpful to me

garitransfer

Garitransfer Dubrovnik
Hello! If you want to use your satellite image data with CLM5.0, you'll need to follow a few steps. First, generate SCRIPgrids based on your raw data. Then, use the mkmapdata.sh script to create the necessary map files. When dealing with raw satellite image data, there isn't a specific namelist file that records this information directly.

To incorporate your satellite data, ensure it's formatted appropriately for SCRIPgrid generation. Utilize tools or scripts that can convert your raw satellite data into the required SCRIPgrid format. Once you've generated SCRIPgrids, proceed with mkmapdata.sh to create map files.

Remember, adapting to your specific dataset might involve scripting or additional preprocessing. Check the CLM5.0 user's guide for any updates or specifics related to your satellite data integration. If you encounter challenges, community forums or support channels related to CLM5.0 can provide valuable insights. Best of luck with your data integration!

Reactions: jgx