Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Installing CESM2 on Perlmutter

Jingyi zhuo

Jingyi zhuo
Hi all, I'm trying to install CESM2.1.4 on the DOE machine Perlmutter (CPU nodes). I've updated the config_machines.xml and config_batch.xml files. However, I'm unsure how to modify the config_compilers.xml to fit Perlmutter-cpu.

After using the revised config_machines.xml, config_batch.xml, and the default config_compilers.xml from CESM GitHub, I passed create_newcase and case.setup successfully, but I got stuck at the case.build step. The error file (gptl.bldlog.230806-134251.txt) is also attached.

Could there be an issue with the default config_compilers.xml settings? Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• config_machines.xml.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 5
  • config_compilers.xml.txt
    45.7 KB · Views: 4
  • config_batch.xml.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 4
  • gptl.bldlog.230806-134251.txt
    3.5 KB · Views: 5

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
This is using the gnu compiler, you need to add these to FFLAGS:
-fallow-argument-mismatch -fallow-invalid-boz

Jingyi zhuo

Jingyi zhuo
Thanks for help! I can compile the codes now. But I got "Permission denied" issue related to the inputdata folder. The folder that I cannot open is '/global/cfs/cdirs/ccsm1/inputdata/atm/cam/chem/emis/CMIP6_emissions_1750_2015_2deg/'

Could you further provide some guidance on this? Or can you help open up the permissions for the "/global/cfs/cdirs/ccsm1/"?

Ty!!

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
If you can open permissions on your case directory I can update inputdata for you. Also Noel Keen has an intel compiler port that will
probably run much faster than gnu does.

jacob_stu_allen

Jacob Stuivenvolt-Allen
Hello Jingyi and jedwards,

I'm attempting to do the same (but with CESM2.1.3) - but I've never edited the config_compliers.xml before. Can you clarify the syntax and location at which "-fallow-argument-mismatch -fallow-invalid-boz" needs to be added to the config_compilers.xml?

If possible, I'd also appreciate tips on how to update the inputdata for CESM 2.1.3.

Thanks in advance!
Jacob

jedwards

CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
First cesm2.1.3 is deprecated - please use cesm2.1.4

Second as I've already stated in this thread you probably want to use the intel compiler rather than gnu on perlmutter.

To add these flags to config_compilers.xml add the lines:
<compiler MACH="xxxx" COMPILER="gnu">
<FFLAGS>
<append> -fallow-argument-mismatch -fallow-invalid-boz </append>
</FFLAGS>
</compiler>

replace xxxx with the name of your machine.

jacob_stu_allen

Jacob Stuivenvolt-Allen
Thanks jedwards - I'm working on the intel compiler, and case.build is failing when building the cism component. I've attached my machine_config.xml file along with the glc.bldlog.

The first error reads:
error: call to undeclared library function 'isalnum' with type 'int (int)'; ISO C99 and later do not support implicit function declarations [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]

Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• cesm_build_errors.zip
    5.6 KB · Views: 2

jacob_stu_allen

Jacob Stuivenvolt-Allen
I see, thank you!

The build is now failing when attempting to build CESM, with many errors related to "undefined reference to `netcdf_mp_nf90*". I have taken steps from this other discussion (errors ("undefined reference to `netcdf_mp_nf90** ") after submitting cases) to edit the config_compilers.xml file to include <append> $SHELL{${NETCDF_FORTRAN_PATH}/bin/nf-config --flibs} </append>.

I'm still getting an undefined reference error however. Attached are my config_machines.xml and config_compilers.xml along with the cesm.bldlog.

Attachments

• cesm_build.zip
    21.2 KB · Views: 0