Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Model parameters do not match initial dataset parameters

jhollowed

I am receiving the following error after starting a run, before the first timestep occurs, at the ingestion of the inital data file that I'm pointing to via NCDATA in user_nl_cam:

Code:
read_initial: model parameters do not match initial dataset parameters
 Model Parameters:    plon =            1  plat =            1
 Dataset Parameters:  dlon =   -189186208  dlat =   -189186208
 ERROR: read_initial: model parameters do not match initial dataset parameters
How are dlon and dlat negative? These are (or should be) the number of lon and lat coords in the input data, no? I thought maybe this is indicative of a corrupt input file, but it's looks fine in ncview. The dynamics grid of the input data and the run are the same (SE ne16). The global attributes of the input file contain
Code:
:ne = 16 ;
:np = 4 ;
I have another input file handy that has the same attributes, and it works fine for the IC via NCDATA. This suggests that the problem has nothing to do with case configuration or the build, but probably my own mistake in generating the IC. I just don't know how to troubleshoot what the problem might be. Thought the large negative values for dlon, dlat might be a hint...

cacraig

Cheryl Craig
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I am not finding "read_initial" in the current CAM code base. I see a message in the ChangeLog for cam5_4_69 (dated June 10, 2016) that the call to read_initial has been removed. If you are indeed using a CAM release that is this old, we no longer support versions this old.

That said, one reason why data fields can be dramatically different in values is when you are reading a real and tell it is an integer (or vice versa). Do an "ncdump -h" and check the types of the fields in your file which worked and one which didn't. Perhaps the types do not match.

If you still have an issue and are indeed using CESM2 (like you tagged this post), then please provide the information requested at: Information to include in help requests