Scheduled Downtime
On Tuesday 24 October 2023 @ 5pm MT the forums will be in read only mode in preparation for the downtime. On Wednesday 25 October 2023 @ 5am MT, this website will be down for maintenance and expected to return online later in the morning.
Normal Operations
The forums are back online with normal operations. If you notice any issues or errors related to the forums, please reach out to help@ucar.edu

Soil-moisture nudging experiments in CESM2

kwzhang

kwzhang
Hi,
I am trying to nudge soil moisture to climotology in F2000climo in CESM2. I only found the Nudging Experiment example (U, V, T, Q) in CAM6.3 User guide. How can I perform a Soil-moisture nudging experiment? I think this experiment should be based on the CLM%, but I haven't found any introduction about the nudging experiment in CLM User guide.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
I'm not aware of any nudging capability in CLM. But there is an option to prescribe soil moisture. See this post for information:

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
Another possibility is to make use of DART, which may have the capability to assimilate soil moisture:

kwzhang

kwzhang
I'm not aware of any nudging capability in CLM. But there is an option to prescribe soil moisture. See this post for information:
Hi Oleson,
Thank you for your reply! It is a good hint for me to start!

kwzhang

kwzhang
Hi Oleson,
I designed a case which will run for one year in F2000climo in CESM2. The resoluton is set as f09_f09_mg17.
Following your suggestion, I only set "use_soil_moisture_streams = .true. ". I got the following error in the file lnd.log.7104048.231027-181639:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(shr_dmodel_readstrm) open : /BIGDATA2/app/CESM_inputdata_2/inputdata/lnd/clm2/prescribed_data/LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.1980-2014.MONS_climo.c190716.nc
(shr_dmodel_readstrm) file lb: /BIGDATA2/app/CESM_inputdata_2/inputdata/lnd/clm2/prescribed_data/LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.1980-2014.MONS_climo.c190716.nc 12
(shr_dmodel_readstrm) file ub: /BIGDATA2/app/CESM_inputdata_2/inputdata/lnd/clm2/prescribed_data/LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.1980-2014.MONS_climo.c190716.nc 1
Input soil moisture dataset is not vegetated as expected: gridcell= 1
active = T
ENDRUN:
ERROR:
('PrescribedSoilMoistureInterp') ERROR:: The input soil moisture stream is NOT
vegetated for one of the land points
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Any hints would be helpful! Thanks in advance!
Best,
Kaiwen

slevis

I haven't used this capability to be of much help, but does the error message
Code:
make sense to you? Seems the code is expecting vegetation or maybe at least bare soil in a grid cell and not finding it?

@oleson may have more insight when he looks at this later in the week.

oleson

Keith Oleson
CSEG and Liaisons
Staff member
The soil moisture stream file is specific to the simulation configuration it was created from. In this particular case, it was created and used by a LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation (f.e21.FHIST_SSP126.f09_f09_mg17.CMIP6-lfmip-pdLC.001). So it's likely to only be fully functional in that configuration. The capability was added to CLM as an example of how a prescribed soil moisture simulation could be run. So you will need to generate your own soil moisture file using your particular configuration, following the example file provided.

kwzhang

kwzhang
I haven't used this capability to be of much help, but does the error message
Code:
make sense to you? Seems the code is expecting vegetation or maybe at least bare soil in a grid cell and not finding it?

@oleson may have more insight when he looks at this later in the week.
Dear slevis,
Thank you so much for your help. I agree with your nice suggestion. t is a good hint for me to start.
Best,
Kaiwen

kwzhang

kwzhang
The soil moisture stream file is specific to the simulation configuration it was created from. In this particular case, it was created and used by a LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation (f.e21.FHIST_SSP126.f09_f09_mg17.CMIP6-lfmip-pdLC.001). So it's likely to only be fully functional in that configuration. The capability was added to CLM as an example of how a prescribed soil moisture simulation could be run. So you will need to generate your own soil moisture file using your particular configuration, following the example file provided.
Dear Oleson,
Thank you for your reply. My case is just similar to the LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation. So I think the soil moisture file used in the LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation is OK!
I know that CESM2 completed the LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation. Is the soil moisture file used in the LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation available? Can I download this file from the website? By the way, is the soil moisture example file you mentioned the one used in the LS3MIP prescribed soil moisture simulation or the file LFMIP-pdLC-SST.H2OSOI.0.9x1.25.20levsoi.natveg.1980-2014.MONS_climo.c190716.nc?
Any hints would be helpful! Thanks in advance!
Best,
Kaiwen